David Sheehan MD, MBA
David V. Sheehan, M.D., M.B.A. is Distinguished University Health Professor Emeritus at the University of South Florida College of Medicine.
He was Professor of Psychiatry, Director of Psychiatric Research and Director of the Depression and Anxiety Disorders Research Institute at the University of South Florida College of Medicine and Professor of Psychology at the University of South Florida College of Arts and Sciences.
Dr. Sheehan was born and educated in Ireland. He completed his residency training in psychiatry at Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School. At Harvard Medical School, where he was Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, he was on the full-time faculty for 12 1/2 years. He was the Director of Anxiety Research and Director of the Psychosomatic Medicine Clinic at Massachusetts General Hospital. He received
his MBA (summa cum laude) from the University of South Florida. He served as Director of Psychiatric Research for the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Medicine at the University of South Florida College of Medicine from 1985-2007. He has written over 550 abstracts and 300 publications including a bestseller The Anxiety Disease (which sold over ½ a million copies). He has edited / served on the editorial board of 9 books/monographs and is the author of 2 books on suicidality. Cumulatively, his publications have been cited over 25,000 times (ResearchGate) and over 26,000 (Google Scholar). One of his scientific publications has been identified in Essential Science Indicators as a “Current Classic” on 3 separate occasions and as the
paper with the greatest absolute increase in citations in the fields of psychiatry and psychology in the last decade (1999-2009). His h-index score is 46 and his RG Score on ResearchGate is 45.29. His scales and structured interviews have been translated into over 80 languages.
He has been awarded over $20 million for 130 research grants. He was awarded 2 patents by the United States Patent Office in 1996 and 2015. He has given expert testimony to the United States Congress.
He has been invited to give over 2000 lectures in 68 countries throughout the world on anxiety and mood disorders, suicidality, measurement based care, psychopharmacology and biological psychiatry. He was elected as a member of the American College of Psychiatrists and is a Distinguished Life Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association and is a Charter Member of the National Academy of Inventors. Among other honors, he has been included in “The Best Doctors in America” published by Woodward/White Inc. every year from 1992 until his retirement in 2010.
Employment History / Recent Positions
2011–Present, Distinguished University Health Professor Emeritus
University of South Florida
Council of The Foundation for Improving Data Quality
2007–Present, Associate Editor
2006–2010, Executive Board Member
International Society for Clinical Drug Development
1985–2010, Professor of Psychiatry & Director of The Depression & Anxiety Disorders Research Institute
University of South Florida College of Medicine
1980–1985, Assistant Professor of Psychiatry
Harvard Medical School
University of South Florida, College of Business Administration
1995 : Business Administration & Management : MBA
University of College Dublin Medical School
1970 : Medicine : MD
Clongowes Wood College
- Sheehan DV, Sheehan KH, Shytle DR, et al. The Mini-International Neuropsychiatric Interview for Children and Adolescents (MINI-KID). Validity and Reliability Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology Volume: 19 Issue: 6 Pages: 789-789 Dec 2009.
- Sheehan DV. The importance of early assessment in setting clinician on the correct treatment path International. Journal of Psychiatry in Clinical Practice Volume: 13 Pages: 6-6 Supplement: Suppl.2 Published: 2009.
- Goddard A, Shekhar A, Rickels K, et al. SSRI/benzodiazepine (Alprazolam XR) coadministration in panic disorder: Results from a multisite, controlled trial. International Journal of Neuropsychoharmacology Volume: 11 Pages: 283-283 Supplement: Suppl. 1 Published: Jul 2008.
- Sheehan DV. Are antidepressants really the first choice in the treatment of anxiety spectrum disorders? International Journal of Neuropsychoharmacology Volume: 11 Pages: 18-18 Supplement: Suppl. 1 Jul 2008.
- Hankin C, Koran LM, Culpepper L, et al. Comparison of healthcare use and costs of adult patients with “pure obsessive compulsive disorder” versus “pure depression”: Nine-year (1997-2006), largescale, retrospective claims analysis of Florida medicaid enrollees. Journal of General Internal Medicine Volume: 23 Pages: 269-270 Supplement: Suppl. 2 Published: Mar 2008.
- Powers P, Sheehan DV, Harnett-Sheehan K, Janavs J, Shippy J. University of South Florida College of Medicine Eating Disorders and Co-morbidity: the MINI-KID Poster presented at Eating Disorders Research Society Meeting, Pittsburgh, PA, October 25-28, 2007.
- Keene MS, Sheehan DV, Eaddy M, Kraus JE, Carpenter DJ, Krulewicz S. Difference in Medication and Patterns of Use Among Newer and Older Antidepressant Agents for Treatment of Depression and Anxiety Disorders. Abstract submitted to 160th Annual Meeting of the American Psychiatric Association. San Diego, CA. May 2007.